Bridport Area Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group Meeting
Wednesday 20 May 2015 at Bridport Town Council (Mountfield)
Present: Phyllida Culpin - Chair (Allington), Ian Harvey (Bradpole), Andrew Leppard (Bridport), David Hill (Bothenhampton &
Walditch), Richard Freer (Allington), John Budden (Bridport), Caroline Perkins (Chamber of Commerce).
In Attendance: Sal Robinson (Minutes Taker), Bob Gillis (Bridport Town Council) and 4 members of the public (Roy Mathisen, Raja
Jarrah, S Sherlock, Margaret Toft)).
John Budden informed the Committee that he would be standing down after this meeting due to pressure of work.
- Apologies. Nicky Lewis (Symondsbury), Glenn Crawford (Bridport), Phillip Grey
(Bridport), Tricia Dendle (Bradpole PC)
- Minutes of previous meeting.
- The minutes were AGREED and signed.
- Matters Arising.
- Bob is still waiting for Housing Need data from West Dorset.
- Bob reported that the specification of the specialist consultant roles is in progress.
- Phyllida said she is concerned that someone needs to keep track of requests to join Working Groups made via the website - Bob said that everyone who expresses an
interest via the web, Facebook, Twitter or the Roadshows, will be contacted after the Roadshows are complete and that all requests should be passed to him.
- Bob reported that he has spoken to Jan Farnam – she will give support and hopes to attend some of the Steering Group meetings
- David Hill said that he will help with the writing of press releases etc to promote the Roadshows and other events.
- Andrew reported that the attended to recent Dorset Community Action Funding Fair and attended the workshop run by Locality on Neighbourhood Plans.
- Content and cover for Roadshow events at Bradpole Fete and Bridport Food Festival.
- Bob and David are working on setting a date for an event for Walditch / Bothenhampton.
- The Allington Hillbillies have an open air event on 21 June and have been asked if the Neighbourhood Plan can have a “stall”
- Bob distributed an analysis of the responses from the Launch Event
- Bob had produced draft displays which everyone looked at and commented on (Bob said that further information is outstanding – timeline,
summary of launch event, information about other NPs, steering group members information, visions and objectives, etc)
- AGREED that it needs to be made clear that the working group terms of
reference and briefs are only drafts and are open to modification over time and in response to public feedback
- An explanation of how the NP can influence the Local Plan is needed
- There must be a good eye catching “start” to draw people in to look at the rest of the information
- The aim is to get people involved “to help shape the future” of the 5 parishes involved
- AGREED that Bob will do more work and that the material will be on display
next Wednesday (27 May) – Andrew offered to help
- The Bradpole event is the “pilot” and changes can be made to the material before the next events
- There must be an easy way for people to express their views
- Bob distributed copies of the draft questionnaire:-
- Raj offered to help Bob with this
- AGREED that comments must be sent to Bob by first thing Tuesday 26
- AGREED that Bob will amend as required and send it to Phyllida for final
- Cover for events
- Any Other Business.
- Andrew said that a event needs to be held in the Skilling area – agreed that possible locations would be St Marys School or St Mary’s
- Margaret Toft suggested possibility of organising an event with the “Home in Bridport” Project – Bob offered to explore this
- John said that even though he is standing down due to work commitments. He will help with events
- AGREED that John will pass on his work on Education to Ian who will take it
- Mr Sherlock observed that house prices in the area are out of reach of anyone on a “normal” wage and that this must be addressed by the
NP if a thriving community is to exist
- Roy Mathisen asked if planning applications can still be approved as there is no adopted Local Plan – potentially yes in the absence of
an up to date adopted Local Plan
- Next Meeting.
- AGREED that the next meeting will be on Wednesday 3 June, at 7:00 pm at